Friday, December 11, 2009

The "I"s of the Future

"In His wisdom, God does not show us all that lies ahead. So we enter a new year to live it day by day. What is past is past. Today we start anew, and what we do today will make our life for tomorrow... each day let us follow more faithfully, more courageously, more daringly the lead of our great Captain who bids us follow Him." ~William Thomson Hanzsche~

You know, I've been aware for much of my life why God doesn't let me see past the end of my proverbial nose. Seriously - God knows me. If I had the address for my future, along with a GPS or a map, I would be on my way. And then, would I really need a Cap'n - other than myself? And to make the trip even more fun, I'd probably take my top off (of the Jeep I'm riding in people... come on!), let the wind whip through my hair, get a tan, and listen to great music along the way. Problem is - I'd be making the trip alone. And what fun is that?

How many of us have had at least one of those road trips in our lives that was fun just because we didn't do it by ourselves. And more importantly, because we DID do it with someone in particular. Ahhh.... we've all had those, right? And part of the fun was not knowing exactly where we were going, where we'd end up, and what would happen along the way. Knowing would have taken all the fun out, right?

So why do we want something so different from God? That's a good question. One that I don't think I've ever really thought of before. Why am I so intent on seeing the "I" in my future? Even recently - "... if we could only see 10 years down the road and know if there would be kids or not, then we'd know what to do with this ginormous house.... if only I could see 5 years down the road and know where we would be financially, it would really help us make this decision right now.... if only I knew.... (you fill in this blank here!) But, won't that take all the fun out of it?

I like the part of the quote up there that says let us follow "more daringly". Yeah, that gets me. I want to live daringly. And doesn't the essence of "daring" imply some mystery and exhileration along the way?

So God, hide the map and take the keys, I'll ride shotgun. Let's take our tops off, let down our hair, enjoy some tunes and point our faces toward the Son, because this ride is gonna be good. Hold on kids!!

All of me, for only Him

No comments: