Thursday, January 1, 2009

A new year, A new earth...

So I have decided to read through the Bible this year - it's been a long time since I attempted that and I feel like it's time I get back to basics - so I found a link on the bottom of my favorite devotional page, My Utmost for His Highest, that said - "Read through the Bible in a year", and thought, Hhmm.. that's handy!

So here I begin. First of all, I love the January 1 entry in My Utmost. Philippians 1:20 - I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but now, as always, Christ will be exalted through me, whether in my life or in my death. That's sort of my paraphrase, but it's definitely the gist of it - That is what I want... I want nothing more than to exalt Christ through all that I do. I wish that was on the forefront of my mind more often, it's not. But maybe this year I will keep it there longer, and maybe on January 1, 2010, I won't read that entry and be reminded, because it will have been my mantra for that past 365 days. That would make 2009 an amazing year. And not for me, but for everyone else around me. What a blessing I could be if I live my life to exalt Christ in ALL that I do. Something to think about.

And so then I moved on to the beginning. How fitting to begin my first day of the year reading about the beginning of it all. How God created this earth and everything in it. I'm sitting here on the couch with my cat, the house is quiet. I'm still in my PJ's with my Dr. Pepper in hand, Salem sweetly sleeping with her head on my arm, and the most beautiful part is the flecks of sunlight that are streaming through the cracks in the blinds behind me. It's a beautiful day in Atlanta and I can only imagine how beautiful it was on that very first day, when everything was absolutely perfect. God did such an amazing job with this spinning ball we live on - it's so beautiful and weird and interesting all at once. I've been reading a book about a boy's adventure through a desert. The words conjure images of sunrises and sunsets in the deserts of the Southwest, and how I have wanted to stay in those spots forever. And then I slept last night to the sounds of waves crashing on my "white noise" alarm clock - I guess I wanted to start the year hearing "home" with the waves crashing. Galveston, Naples, Marco Island, all the amazing nights on Jekyll sitting and just watching and listening to the waves for hours on end - God is so amazing - and strong, and beautiful, and dangerous, and awe inspiring. I am reminded of a quote from Narnia - The King is dangerous, but He is good. Yes, my friends, He is. And aren't we lucky that He adores us, US, above all?

Happy New Year - I look forward to what He will bring us all.
All of me for only Him

No comments: